Friday, November 18, 2011

Is there another way to give my dog her Omega 3-6-9 supplement?

I have a Pomeranian who is a fussy eater, and she won't touch her food in the dish if I add the recommended Omega for her diet. She has dry itchy skin and she needs this supplement. My other dog also had dry skin and is getting better/healthier thanks to Omega, he has a nice shiny coat. What other ways are there to administer her Omega supplement?|||If its a liquid form, you can always get a baby med dropper %26amp; do it that way. Its a little stressful on you %26amp; the dog, as your trying to hold them, get their mouth open, %26amp; squirt at the same time. If you have help, all the better! I've had to give my min pin meds %26amp; the dropper method works best. you know they've taken it %26amp; its over that quick!


If its a pill try stuffing the pill in a soft dog treat (Canine Carryouts).


Good luck!!|||Would she eat it if you put it in a piece of turkey? My dog will eat anything wrapped in turkey! That's what we do when he needs to take a pill or some medicine.





Or you could get a high quality wet food and only feed it to her when she gets her supplement. Or you can "make" a wet food with your current food. Chop your dry food in a food processor until it's a powder. Then mix it with a little chicken broth or water. Then mix the supplement in with it.|||Plenty of High Quality dog foods are rich in Omega 3 %26amp; 6 fatty acids. If you have to supplement her food with a pill then you need to seriously consider switching her food to a high quality food like Pinnacle, Orijen, Sold Gold, Wellness Core, Timberwolf or Artemis.





I feed Pinnacle Duck %26amp; Potato and it contains both Omega 3 %26amp; Omega 6.





|||Try giving her a fish oil pill that you can buy in the pharmacy, just be careful of the strength. If she's good with taking pills you can just pop one in the back of her mouth and down it goes.|||Is this supplement a liquid or a pill? If it is a liquid, then you may have to see if you can find a yummy food that she'll eat it in or see if you can get the supplement in a soft gel form. My dogs get EFA supplements in a soft gel pill. My one dog will eat it in her food (I warm a little home-made soft food with water and let it sit in the warm water for a few minutes to start to dissolve the gel cap then squeeze the oil out and mix it with the food). My other dog occasionally will eat it mixed in his food but most often does not and for him I simply have to pill him ("shove" it down his throat...I have to do this for ALL medications as he just won't eat a pill wrapped in food, he'll chew around the pill and spit the pill out).|||my dog has the same problem here is what you can do go the any pet store like petsmart or a walmart may be better because it cheaper. in the dog section where the treats are they have omega 3 treats. its a orange bag and says omega 3 on them you cant miss them and try giving them to her she may like them better it will tell you on the back how many you should give her depending on her weight. my dog loves them and they do work good luck|||I just had to give my pom a liquid medication. The vet gave me a really thin 10 ml syringe. (no needle of course). It was really simple to just shoot it in her mouth. I had to do this 2 xs a day. gave her a treat after. No stress, no mess. and I knew she received the whole dose.

No comments:

Post a Comment